Test Preparation & School Admissions
Director of Test Preparation and School Admissions
A certified teacher with a Masters in educational leadership, Alexandra Wax first became interested in the college admissions process during her time as an undergraduate transfer student at Rice University. She has since gone on to build expertise in all aspects of test preparation and admissions beginning in 2004, with thousands of hours of experience teaching and tutoring the ISEE, SSAT, PSAT, SAT, ACT, SAT Subject Tests, MCAT, LSAT, AP, and other exams. She has also contributed original material to several commercially available test prep books and served as content reviewer and editor for Cracking the SAT Literature Exam (2016 edition). She’s also a published poet who loves tutoring writing-based subjects like literature and history.
From an admissions perspective, Alexandra’s philosophy is that every student’s needs are unique, and their college process should be just as personalized. Her process helps students find the right fit and to put together memorable, successful applications, and her clients have received offers of admission from a long list of competitive institutions, including all of the Ivy League, public university honors programs (such as UT’s Plan II), The Actors Studio Drama School, and dozens of others. She is a member of the Texas Association of College Admissions Counselors, National Association of College Admissions Counselors and holds a credential in college admissions counseling from the University of California system.
After an initial meeting in which we work together to determine exactly what your student needs to set up his/her admissions journey for success, our team of test prep tutors will work in tandem with an admissions counselor (selected specifically to complement each student’s needs and interests) to help create a complete and successful application profile. We’ll be with you from the first brainstorming session all the way to celebrating your acceptance letters!
Our team can help your student with:
- creating and refining a personalized admissions timeline
- keeping students on track to meet multiple deadlines while keeping up with school and other commitments
- researching schools and determining where to apply
- identifying and obtaining exciting and enriching internship and summer opportunities
- developing and executing a test preparation plan that will best showcase students’ strengths
- advising on letters of recommendation
- brainstorming, drafting, and perfecting memorable and unique application essays
- perfecting the common application and other applications to ensure correct submission according to requirements
- conducting mock interviews and helping students prepare for campus visits
- creating supplemental materials to showcase student interests and talents in the arts, sports, a specific academic field, or other areas
- helping student athletes navigate the recruitment process and/or reach out to potential schools as appropriate
- researching, selecting, and applying for financial aid and scholarships